Development of the modern urban core of Sudbury as a regional center, through the renovation of the Sudbury Marshalling Yard , tracks and surrounding areas.
- Development of the integral urban core of Sudbury by creating modern public in the center and residential facilities for city and regional purposes.
Increase of territories of green spaces and areas.
- Reducing environmental pollution of the central part of the city and adjacent areas.·
Improvement of bicycle and pedestrian connections.
- Linking solutions with previously developed projects for the development of the urban core of Sudbury.
- The question territory in is fully built up.
- Most pat of the territory is occupied by railways.
- Divided into parts by railways, the city as a whole and its central core. What limits the holistic development of the center.
- Environmental pollution of the city center from railway transport.
To accomplish the set goal and solve the problems, the project proposes:
1. Transferring the freight railway communication to the railway line located north of the city, with the subsequent dismantling of the freed up railway tracks. This dismantling, in turn, will free up the territory for creating an integral urban core.
2. On the vacated territory of the repair depot it is envisaged:
- Creation of a city-wide park with recreational, public and sports zones with a total area of 15 hectares, as well as public parking lots.
- The building of the railway depot is proposed to be reconstructed and made into a museum of the history of the Sudbury railway with a rotating exhibition of locomotives, which can be located both inside the building and outside. The roof of the museum building is proposed to be used for public events, which will be used as a public ice rink in winter.
It is proposed to make a dynamic composition out of a repair ring for locomotives from an old railway locomotive rotating in a circle.
In front of the museum, equip a citywide square with a total area of 10,000 m2for holding mass events, celebrations, a Christmas market with the possibility of installing a Christmas
On the southern border of the territory, there are three multi-storey residential complexes from 10 to 16 floors, with underground parking. The first and second floors of the complexes will accommodate trade and public premises, gyms and entertainment centers.
A supermarket has been designed in the south-western part, which will serve residents of residential complexes and nearby residential areas.
To provide transport services for residential complexes, a museum, a park, the project provides for the punching of a new residential street between the park and residential
3. To the north of the park it is planned to place: A complex of multifunctional office buildings with semi underground two-storey parking lots. The first and second floors of which provide for the placement of commercial and public premises.
A boulevard with fountains, which creates a pedestrian and recreational link between the main street Elm Street, the complex of office buildings and the park with its exit to the park square.
An innovative technology center is proposed to be located next to the supermarket.
4. As part of the city's strategy of "preserving and developing a healthy and holistic community," thein the Sudbury Marshalling Yard next to the train station Sudbury project proposes to locate a complex of four 4-storey residential buildings.
Given the acute shortage in the center of the vast green spaces, most of the territory is occupied by transformed: park, boulevard, gardens, green streets, alleys along the creek, which is about 50% of the total area. This solution aims to create a unified recreational and pedestrian network of the city center and its periphery. Namely, connecting the Project Park with the existing park adjacent to Greater Sudbury City Hall, proposed municipal projects in the central core of the city, the green area of Junction Creek, the project Elgin Street Greenway and gives the development of green areas with access to Ramsey Lake.
To reduce harmful emissions from cars and improve the ecology of the city, a bicycle path has been designed across the entire territory from the south-west to the south-east, which in the south-west adjoins the bicycle path around Lake Ramsey.
To ensure fast and environmentally friendly transport links between the city and nearby cities, a high-speed city tram with a speed limit in cities has been designed. This decision will strengthen the role of the city as a regional center, which will allow residents of nearby cities to freely receive and develop Sudbury services to the regional center.
Considering the city's favorable geographic location, namely its proximity to Ottawa, Toronto and Montreal, as well as the fact that Sudbury has grown into a diversified regional center and became the center of industry, education and healthcare in Northern Ontario. The project proposes the placement of a modern office center in multifunctional office buildings to the north of the project park for people working in these areas and living in nearby cities. The office center provides for the provision of employees with modern high-tech office space with a well-thought-out multifunctional infrastructure and well-thought-out design. The modern office center will attract new specialists working in innovative industries, education and medicine.
The enlargement and development of green spaces and areas in the city center proposed by the project will reduce the factor of environmental pollution in the central part of the city and adjacent areas. And the improvement of the city's bicycle and pedestrian connections will provide a comfortable living environment for all groups of the population and diversify their leisure time.
The solutions embodied in the Sudbury Urban Core future Development Project are aimed at transforming and developing the Sudbury Urban Center, which will serve as a catalyst for the economic growth of the city and the region. Will allow the public to be involved in the urban planning process.
This is our vision for a vibrant city of Sudbury, open to the world it serves.
4 scanned / 4 viewable
- Presentation Panel
- Presentation Panel
- Presentation Panel
- Presentation Panel